Having Vision & being flexible

Having Vision & being flexible
a little something like this....may end up as the alternative due to $$

Friday, March 26, 2010

Question: Love vs Fear Which is the stronger motivator?

I'm reading the former B'ball coach of the LA Lakers Pat Riley. There's a lot of talk of "Leadership" and "Teamwork" in it. The book is called "THE WINNER WITHIN." It talks a lot about motivation and how when trying to build a winning team finding out what motivates people is essential. I began thinking about how people are motivated which lead me to ask myself "How are people motivated?" I found that Fear & Love are two of the strongest. I began thinking about what lengths people are driven when in "Love." It is a very powerful force. Then I began thinking about how "Fear" motivates people. I extrapolated that Love is a positive motivator while Fear is a negative one. Love is about going after something you want, something to be "Gained." Whereas Fear is about the opposite, what can be "Lost" or taken away. Which one is stronger? I think Fear is stronger. Which is older? I also believe that Fear is older and the more primal. Some may state that Love is more primal having been the drive to keeping the species alive through procreation. I would counter with the statement "Lust is not Love." I believe that love came much later and that "Lust" was the primal drive not "Love" that kept the species alive during the time of the dinosaurs. All the more to my point that the "Fear" of not mating was an even more motivating than the lust that drove them in the first place. So peruse the inner reaches of your mind and make it personal; apply the question to yourself and then answer for yourself "Which is a stronger motivator in your life? I'm going to study it out on a biblical level. God wants us to Love Him but also Fear Him. The bible states that "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom." So which one is to have the upper hand in our psyche if even one is to be more primary than the other. I believe that what motivates us tells everything about our character and ultimately our destiny. Whoa! That's a lot of heavy thinking! It must have been that Latte on the empty stomach ;-) Holla back atcha boy! Tell me your answer. Apply it to your day today. In situations that arise throughout the day, ask yourself afterward or before "Am I being motivated to make this decision by Fear or Love?

No comments:

Post a Comment